Jo Lives To Eat

My life is mostly about food!

15:25

The Betsy Smith

Posted by thefoodsnob |

Ok technically today's post is nothing to do with food. Technically I didn't eat any food at The Betsy Smith pub today.  But, I did drink a lot of  Bloody Mary's, which normally I class as a full meal so I feel this post is completely justified.

The Betsy Smith is a new pub on Kilburn High Road from the owners of The Winchester in Islington.  I was intrigued to go and see it as I feel that other than the North London Tavern,  Kilburn High Road is somewhat lacking in decent drinking holes, unless of course I'm an "old geezer", work on a fruit or veg stall or am an unemployed alcoholic.

I wasn't just pleasantly surprised when I arrived, more like mesmerised.  Its awash with luscious chesterfields, warm and bright wallpapers, kitsch ornaments, whacky lighting and pink flamingoes.  Now if I'm honest with myself this pub isn't as spectacular as I'm making out and the reality of it is, is that it is just a really nice bar, but I'm totally obsessed with everything in there.  I love furniture, I love lighting and weirdly, I love pink flamingoes a la Alice in Wonderland and so I think this place is gorgeous.



There is a great drinks menu too - some of the cocktails look a little pretentious and contrived - parsnip, tequila and blue cheese?!!  Having said that, most of them look interesting, varied and tasty. There is one with a jaffa cake on top!  The thing that drew me the most was the additional menu of cocktails for 2 served in a teapot.  I just love this.  Its so simple and a little stupid but I think rather quaint and lovely.  My friend and I had a "chilli pot" which is 6 shots of Bloody Mary for just £12.  Bargain.  And it was really good too - very spicy and thick.

A few niggles - the service needs to improve ten-fold.  It was extremely slow and several of the waiters are not trained in cocktail making however I'm sure that will get better.  They need to be weary though that as this place gets more popular, and it will, the bartenders need to be totally on it.  Also, the manager looks like a bit of a stress head and will definitely need to mould his staff and himself in a more positive manner.  Other than that, The Betsy Smith is the new rabbit hole to get lost in.



Do I look dignified?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment