Jo Lives To Eat

My life is mostly about food!

12:10

Gripe of the month

Posted by thefoodsnob |

Ok this has been itching at me for a while now and I feel I must voice my rather pathetic and sad little issue with the world.

CUPCAKES.  Why and when did they get so fashionable? Ok, I'm the first to admit that getting a little package of mini or average sized cupcakes as a present is a most delightful treat and still more original (but only just) than one normal sized cake........however my gripe is with something rather specific -  the flavours.  Scores of cupcake shops have been popping up everywhere, the world and his stay-at-home but entrepreneurial wife have a cupcake business boasting flavours such as pistachio, cherry, lemon, lavender, berry and everything else in-between.  9 times out of 10 I gaze down suspiciously at these apparent taste sensations but oh no - it is all a deception, a rouse, a blatant lie.  Said flavoured icing but piped on top of a plain or vanilla flavoured cake.  This, does not a good cupcake make.  I urge the cupcake makers out there to do what is only right and just to these little heavenly treats and actually create what they say.  I just feel duped when I go to buy a passion fruit cupcake and I ask the assistant if the cake is passion fruit flavoured and they say "no, just the icing".
Now I realise, of course that my rant is a total sweeping statement and there are some great cupcake stores out there.  Bake-a-boo in West Hampstead for example is a girl's tea party wrapped up in a pink bow.  It is so exquisite and so are their cupcakes.  I tried the raspberry cupcakes in there and they are just incredible.  Moist, fresh, flavoursome and full of raspberries!
Hummingbird Bakery definitely don't do enough of the flavoured cupcakes but when they do they're really good.  I actually prefer the cookbook to the shop as they list how to bake so many great flavoured cupcakes; pineapple and coconut, banana and chocolate, green tea etc.
Anyway - rant over - please feel free to object, agree or just share the love and look at a pretty picture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment